On the move again...

This post is coming a little late, but just in case you haven't heard, Adam was traded to DC almost two weeks ago...right after my last post about being sad that he was on his pre-season trip. He called me on a Wednesday morning, early...this is how our two-minute conversation went:

Adam: "Hey Ash!"
Me: "Hey, good morning! You're calling early..."
Adam: "Well...Ash...we definitely live a life full of adventure..."
(me thinking, "uh oh...")
Adam: "Peter just called me into his office and let me know that I've been traded to DC."
Me: "Oh my gosh. Are you kidding?"
Adam:"Nope, I think they're flying me back this afternoon. (pause) Hey Ash, can I call you back? I think DC is calling through..."
(me: silently screaming/crying/freaking out).
Me: "Uh, oh, okay! Talk to you soon!"
(me: "Aaaaahhhhhh!")

I'm not sure I've ever had quite so many things running through my head at the same time. Thoughts: Thrilled - we're moving "home!" close to family and friends; In the dark - not knowing how soon we'll have to move, what we'll do about the house, what I'll do about my doctor's appointments, where I'll have our baby; will Adam be there for Muffin's birth? When will he join the team? Oh my gosh, we're not going to live in our house anymore...but we just finished muffin's nursery! (insert tears) But, we're going to be near so many people we love! Muffin will have her grandparents nearby; Where are we going to live? When will we have time to find a place? How will we afford it? DC is expensive. Overwhelmed - we'll have to sell the house. How am I going to sell the house by myself? What needs to be done? Oh my gosh, I'm swamped with work, how am I going to do this? What if no one likes our house? What about the pups? How will they transition? I'm exhausted. How am I going to keep the house spotless? When am I going to pack? When's the next time I'll see Adam...and so on...and so on.

After hours of freaking out, my 28-week doctor's appointment, and trying to stay focused on my work, Adam flew back to Kansas City. I picked him up at the airport on Wednesday night, and like he always does, he calmed me down...talked me through all of the possibilities, and we began to make plans.

Our plan: Adam's flying back to DC on Sunday to join the team before their two and a half week trip to Bradenton, FL. We're going to sell the house. In the time Adam's in Kansas (Thursday-Saturday), we'll pack as much as we can, clean the entire house, talk to our realtor, and stage the house. Adam will fly back to Kansas City from Bradenton the last weekend in February. My dad will fly in from Richmond to help us finish packing and from there, we'll drive both cars the 16 1/2 hours back to Virginia. Dad will take the pups to Richmond, and Adam and I will drive to DC to begin looking for a place to live, find a doctor and a hospital to deliver Muffin. Then, I'll drive back to Richmond for the remainder of Adam's pre-season training. Adam will be making a few more trips with DC team and then we'll hopefully reconvene in DC, move into an apartment, and start to get settled. So, for almost three weeks, the plan is that I'll stay in Kansas City to try and sell the house, pack/organize more, and prepare for the move.

How the plan has played out so far: Adam ended up not flying back to DC at all because of all the snow they got. The city was paralyzed for the most part and the team decided it made more sense to fly Adam straight to Bradenton on Tuesday. So, lucky for me, I had his help (and reassurance) for a few more days. In retrospect, I have no idea what I would have done without him there with me because he was unbelievably helpful and calming...reminding me what was important and that we could get through it...one step at a time. So, we scheduled realtor appointments, had the home stager/photographer come take photos of our house, sold a bunch of furniture on Craig's List (because we recognize that space will be tighter in DC), cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned. When Adam left, I still freaked out, but at least felt better about everything and was super excited for Adam's new opportunities and adventure.

What I've been up to: I've had more appointments with the realtor, carpet cleaner, home surveyor, etc. Our house went on the market exactly five days ago (Feb. 10), and it's been a little crazy since then (see house listing here). I was especially uneasy knowing that at a moment's notice I'd have to leave the house (making sure it was spotless) with the pups and my work for house showings. I told Adam about how nervous I was about this whole process and he suggested that I call one of my girlfriend's and ask a huge favor - for me and my pups to come over to her home during the weekdays so that I could work and wouldn't have to worry so much about falling behind, pups dragging dirt in, and all the other things that can happen when you're under deadline and receive a call that someone's coming to look at your home in 20 minutes. My girlfriend graciously is letting us stay in her home and I can't tell you the peace of mind it's given me...especially when we've been super lucky and already had about 20 couples come through our house. Can you imagine if I wasn't so blessed to have her offer her home to me and I had to come and go, cleaning each time, five times a day? I don't even want to think about it!

What I've learned so far through this process: My husband is extraordinarily wonderful and I'm so lucky to have him in my life (I already knew this, but he just keeps showing me love in new ways); It's okay to ask for help; Money is just money (I knew this too, but it was really hard to come to terms with the fact that we're going to lose a lot of it selling our house - turns out, you really need to be in your house for more than 9 months for it to be good for your bottom line); My family and friends are the best - so unbelievably supportive and encouraging; and, that God's plan is so much bigger than mine. I'm super glad for this last one.

So, that's where we are. Thanks for all of your phone calls and notes. Please keep us in your prayers and cross your fingers that our house sells fast! This whole experience has been bittersweet, but overall, we're thrilled to be moving back home and we're excited to see what God has in store for us next!

2 comments:

Melissa Coleman said...

Ash! Your baby has gotten so big! You look fabulous. I'm so glad you'll be on the East Coast! We're praying for you guys and that all hurdles will smooth out- as I know they will! Hang in there Mama! Keep us posted.

andrew said...

prayin for you guys. God's plan is painting an amazing picture with all this I promise you both. see yall soon